Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Here and There: Favorite Christmas Songs

When we're talking Christmas, and the background for wrapping or cookie baking or decorating the Christmas tree, for me it doesn't get much better than Nat King Cole singing The Christmas Song.




But like you I have a fondness for Christian hymns and sweet songs.  My favorite being this one.  I love Enya's voice as well, it lends itself well to Christmas hymns.




My other favorite is "Silent Night", again another beautiful voice.  I grew up in the Episcopal church, going to midnight services on Christmas Eve.  My favorite moment was at the end of the service when the organ quit playing, the lights were lowered and it was just the voices of the people inside the church singing this song as midnight came.  It brings tears to my eyes even now when I think of it, such a feeling of peace.




Then there's The Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker.  This I think will be the first year I haven't taken the girls to see it. I almost tried to get it to watch on video but figured it wouldn't be as great as seeing the live ballet. The first time I took Emily to see it at about age four or five, she sat on my Dad's lap and said "oooooh, she's beautiful" so loud when the Sugar Plum Fairy danced out that everyone around us got a chuckle.




And I cannot forget my favorite singer. The little hippie in me cannot resist the lovely ending to this classic, listen through...





And last but not least, bet you didn't know there's Harry Potter Christmas music?  Oh yes, this Harry Potter freak of course owns Jingle Spells.




How about that?

You were right, there were way too many to narrow down!!

3 comments:

  1. excellent choices! Some of which I hadn't heard before, in particular the Harry Potter one, which made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree.

    Debbie, please join in on the 25 days of joy. The more the merrier.

    ReplyDelete

in your own words...