Monday, November 7, 2011

From the weekend: Bonfire Night


Saturday was Bonfire Night, the night when here in England we commemorate the anniversary of the day in 1605 when Guido Fawkes and his friends attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament. The Prof and I went to a bonfire party at the vicarage of a church that my friend attends. There were fireworks and a bonfire, though no 'Guy' this year, I wonder if it's becoming a bit of an un-PC thing to do these days, burn effigies on bonfires. Not the best example for the children, probably, though I didn't even think about it when I was a child! The bonfire came in handy keeping us warm, it was freezing, and also for toasting marshmallows - I had never had toasted marshmallows before, and I should not have left it so long to try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

in your own words...