Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Slow days


Happy fourth! I can't believe it’s July already. This year is running away from me. Maybe it's because of my wedding in April, but the months seem to have gone by in a blur. Years ago, my auntie told me that the older she got, the quicker the years went, and I am starting to realise the truth of that. The days, the weeks, the months all speed by.  I’m sure Christmas comes around three times a year these days. I would really like to slow time down a bit. 

Sounds like you had a very busy weekend. It must be lovely now, having your living room as you want it. It looks really cosy and calm. 

It’s been a sunny day here, warm but not too hot which is exactly how I like it.  I am a chilly mortal, so cold weather doesn’t suit me, but I wilt in the heat. Today has been lovely.  I had a lazy morning, as most of my mornings are, these days. I get up when I wake, today that was 9.30. I've been writing, drinking coffee and enjoying the quiet, at least until one of the neighbours put on the album he has been listening to every afternoon for the past week, but it wasn't too loud, and I like Black Sabbath. I've done some laundry, and it’s blowing in the breeze on the washing lines outside.  For lunch I had a bowl of couscous with some olives, for dinner this evening a baked potato with butter and cheese. Simple food.

We had a good weekend, we visited my auntie on Saturday and had strawberries and cream, very fitting on the weekend of the Wimbledon final.  I took some photographs in her garden, and sat on the steps of her patio, watching bees on the lavender. One got a bit annoyed when I got too close with my camera but I escaped unscathed! We did a little shopping on Sunday, I had gifts to buy for my brother's birthday next weekend and treated myself to Hugh Laurie’s album and the film Shutter Island, which we haven't seen.


In the evening we had dinner with friends, and then a very leisurely drive home through the Kent countryside again.  I love these slow days and I find lately I am finding it easier to just relax rather than stressing about what isn't getting done.  I am savouring the slower pace, and taking time to enjoy things instead of worrying.

I am trying to focus more on the here and now. Usually my head is full of noise, things to do,  too many tangled thoughts. With the help of my notebook and my little point and shoot camera, I am making the effort to notice things around me and to just be. I like it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

in your own words...