Thursday, July 28, 2011

pictures tell a story


My photo from yesterday is from an ongoing project.  Well, two really.  One is to declutter my house.  Something that is slow moving but getting there.  The second is based on the fact I am a magazine lover and have a gigantic stack of them in my closet.  I've been working hard at going through them pulling out the articles/photos I find useful or pretty, ripping them out and putting them in binders to keep.  Less space.  I've been doing this for years.  Since before my first was born.  I had about six or seven big binders full of home, cooking, holidays, decorating and gift ideas.  When I got divorced my husband took them all along with my beloved Harry Potter (British and US) collections and I never saw them again.  I don't know if he destroyed them or if they went to auction with his stuff, or what.  It broke my heart.

So I started again.  I ordered back issues of my favorite ones on Ebay (about three years worth) and have been working slowly through them.  Three years later I have about half of them bound and another half sitting here on my bedroom floor waiting to be added to the collection.  That photo from yesterday was from the last three magazines I went through.  Now not to get too excited I still have a stack of more recent magazines still in the closet here to go through and there are my magazines I refuse to take the scissors to (British Country Living, Yoga Journal and Bon Appetit) the last two because they were collections handed down to me by my mother, the first because there is just way too much goodness there to even begin to pick out, the whole magazine is delightful.

So now you know my secret obsession.  

So you can imagine how over the moon I was when I found Pinterest online.  It's the exact same thing but kept online and no scissors or binders.  It's fantastic!!  I've had a couple people look at me funny when I've told them about it, but as lovers of photos and inspiration it's a great place to be.

And it says a lot about us doesn't it?  When my husband stole all those binders I had worked so diligently on, placing those little bits I kept as inspiration or that connected with me, I felt like I had lost a little bit of myself. When I page through them now, I see things that inspire and move me.  So when you look at someone's Pinterest boards, it's almost like getting a glimpse of who they are.  I keep adding boards at a steady pace now for food and even a random board for all the stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.

I think that if I really wanted someone to know me, perhaps all they needed to do was peruse my Pinterest photos?  Funny.  They are here.

I know you've mentioned doing photo posts for August.  I think that's a great idea; perhaps we could learn just as much about each other through photos.

On a side note.....

I'll be happy for you when you get your other half back.  In fact it makes me insanely happy that you are so happy and have that dusty professor to fill your days and nights with.  As I write this you have only one night left! I haven't completely lost my faith in love, it may be tarnished around the edges but underneath it's still there.  That's another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

in your own words...