Friday, June 10, 2011

Slow moments, busy day


Balloons, from a London bus

Today I went to London to meet up with Sara. We went to an exhibition of work by the artist, Anita Klein. Sara first introduced me to her work by sending me a card featuring one of her paintings. We enjoyed a leisurely few hours in the city, walked around the exhibition and spent lots of time chatting and drinking coffee. It was a real pleasure to spend some time together, looking at the paintings, catching up on news. 

I also really enjoyed my journey to meet Sara. Instead of just burying myself in a book as usual, I decided to take my camera and take photographs all along the journey, from the bus and train as well as in the street. I found myself slowing down and really noticing things around me.  The golden top of the Monument showing above a building, shining in the sun. A restaurant’s gorgeous flower bed on a busy street.  A bunch of balloons.  Soaring glass office blocks.

Your simple evening sounds lovely. I’ve had a full day today, so a simple evening for me, too, tonight. I met my husband from work and we drove home together, stopping for dinner on the way so that neither of us had to cook. We’ve both had a busy day. Then home to relax on the sofa with a cup of rooibos tea.  Shortly I will go and put my pyjamas on and we will both turn off our laptops before watching an hour or two of television.  Then an early night I think, if I haven’t already fallen asleep on the sofa.

2 comments:

  1. yes, yes and yes. how amazing when you stop and think how many small moments can make up a day. sounds like a delightful ending there at home with the professor.

    and one day you will explain to me what rooibos tea is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rooibos tea is otherwise known as Redbush. I like it. My son says it tastes like pondwater.

    ReplyDelete

in your own words...