Friday, June 24, 2011

Memories

The Girls. Debbie, Lisa, me, Gail, Jackie 

Well hello there, Rock Chick!

Sounds like you had a great time! Did the thunderstorms hold off? I was thinking of you as I went to bed last night, imagining you getting ready and then travelling to the concert full of anticipation. What a wonderful experience for you and your friend, building memories, as you said. You made me think of my closest friends, pictured above with me at my wedding in April, and how long it is since I have had a get together with any of them, except of course for the wedding, when I barely had time to see much of them at all. 

Let me introduce you. 

There is Debbie, who I have known since the first day of school aged 4. My brother and his best friend were both called Darren and two each of the Debbies and Darrens made for a lot of confusion at our house when they both came over to play. We even shared a flat for a while, where Debbie did all the housework and cooking and even ran my bath for me in the mornings! She has always been very organised, I think it's because she had six siblings. 

Lisa came to work in my office when she was 16 and I was 20, it seemed a big age gap then and of course it isn't any more, though I still think of her as much younger than me. It was very strange when she turned 40 earlier this year. She is bright and bubbly and full of fun. I have a brilliant video of her on my 21st birthday, in her Brosette gear, singing 'Happy Birthday to You' at the top of her voice and taking up the entire screen, waving her arms around. 

I have known Gail 14 years, since our children were in the same class in Infants' School. We were both single parents, and shared a lot of meals, outings and day to day worries with each other over the years.  We have usually seen each other at least once a week, even if it was just popping by for a quick coffee. She moved up north a year ago, and I have only seen her a couple of times since, I really miss her.

Jackie I met through mutual friends on a girls' holiday when I was 19, we shared many laughs and Indian meals over the years and she is my son's godmother. I have hilarious and wonderful memories of three different holidays with Jackie years ago, we had a lot of fun. 

My goal for the next week or so is to make arrangements to see every one of the four lovely ladies above very soon, and make some new memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

in your own words...