Monday, June 20, 2011

{my} weekend.


happy monday!  i hope your weekend treated you well.  i hope you had a country drive.  i love your tales and your photos from your weekend country drives.  we basically live in the country but we headed out to the park this weekend.  it was father's day today, so my father and i did about a two-three hour hike today in one of the county parks nearby.   i took this photo along the way.  you can walk for about an hour on one of the fire trails and think you are so far from civilization and then you meander back to a fenceline like this and see a farmhouse in the distance and then you realize you are not quite so far away.  all in all it was a good time.  my father and i have a love/hate relationship.  he loves to give me a hard time and i hate that he does.  my mother says we fight like an old married couple.  it's just that we do spend a good bit of time together as he is retired and helps me with the girls before and after school.  in the end i know he would do anything to help me, so after breakfast with my sister this morning i invited him out on the trail with me.   

other than that it was a quiet weekend.  the girls were at a sleepover at their other grandparents house with two favorite cousins so i actually had most of the weekend to myself.  the bad news is i laid about quite a bit.  the good news is i actually did some writing.  really it was quite exciting and i found myself really happy with myself, having a bit of time to do the things i really like, finishing a book, watching a movie, having a glass of wine, sitting down to eat dinner at 8:30 in the evening just because that's when i got around to it, not having to do tuck ins three times and still have someone climb in bed with me in the middle of the night.  i got up to go to breakfast and it took me fifteen minutes.  i got up, got dressed, took the dog out, made a cup of tea and off i went.  no pleading, or hassling, or impatience.

i love my girls.  truly i do. but sometimes it is nice to have that small break.  to have a weekend to myself.  it so rarely happens that when it does i feel like i am on a luxurious vacation, even if i am still just in my own living room.

3 comments:

  1. Your weekend sounds lovely, and how nice to have a long walk with your Dad on Fathers' Day. One question though, what's a fire trail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having so much reading these posts as they're batted across the Atlantic like a feathered shuttlecock in sloooow motion. Such a fun game to watch-- thank you both for the lovely musings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Kim! I am so glad you are enjoying reading. Thank you for popping by!

    ReplyDelete

in your own words...