Thursday, June 16, 2011

love of books.



I loved what you said about anticipating spending time reading the books you had from the library.  I was in the library as well this past Saturday, picking up The Time Traveler's Wife for the book read you mentioned.  I also got another book and two cookbooks.  I am a cookbook fiend, browse them in bed like a magazine.  I love the library...so many good books.  I'm a sucker for a good cover, sometimes it's turns out worthwhile sometimes not.  I remember times before I had the girls that I would just go in and wander up and down the aisles taking down books that looked good until I had a whole stack.

These days I don't have as much reading time, but I'm trying to carve a place back in for it.  I sat down for two hours last weekend and finished my last book, cleaning being banished to the back burner.  The photo above is of the books currently residing in my house that I have yet to read, or yet to finish.  Remember back in the beginning when I said I was working on becoming a better "finisher of things".   So these are in addition to the library books.  I find though that I have to be in a certain mood for certain books, so I am sure I will find my way back to them.

We drown in books in this house, the girls each have overflowing bookshelves of books they cannot part with going all the way back to Karelyn's favorite Goodnight Moon.  With money being what it is I tend to rely on the library more and more.  It is a good thing to have a librarian for a sister!  When I do find books I really, really want to keep for inspiration or for another read, I check out used bookstores online.  I have gotten great used library copies of books for as little as a couple of dollars.  I don't mind that they are marked up or rough around the edges, I figure that's the sign of a well loved book.  One time I got a copy of a book with the little card in the back where it listed the names of the library users and the dates they checked the book out.  Seems so far from our automatic check-outs these days. 

So that's all for tonight.  It's late, very tired as it's been a long week already.  Now to settle into bed with a hot cuppa tea and that book I was talking about.  They say the best writers are avid readers.  Until tomorrow......




2 comments:

  1. If I have to be indoors, there's no place I'd rather spend my time than in a library perusing the shelves. I've definetely brought home my share of stacks. Many returned never read because I'm also a great starter but not so great at finishing - yet. Read The Time Traveler's Wife last year and really enjoyed it. It was one of those books that kept me up reading many nights while the rest of the house slept. Like you, I don't have a lot of time to read (during the day, anyways.) When I do find the time to cozy up with a book it's an indulgence to me that's akin to eating a plate of warm cookies or double fudge chocolate cake with a side of fresh strawberries. Yummy! I have a list of books I plan to read when I do have more time and it just keeps getting longer and longer. Someday I'll get through all of them. Right now I'm satisfied reading Dr Seuss with my son and the few books I'm able to sneak in when I can steal some time for myself. Cookbooks...oh yeah! The best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a huge pile from the library at the weekend - 5 novels and then some local history and genealogy books. I have bought two books this week too, both for reading groups.I am making a determined effort to use the library more, and also to buy books used rather than new. I don't mind splashing out if it's a book I know I will want to keep, but just for novels, it's the library or secondhand.
    I also have a sizeable 'to be read' pile. I believe I remember resolving earlier this year not to buy any more books until I had read them all. Oops.

    ReplyDelete

in your own words...