Thursday, June 2, 2011

On Dreams...


(somewhere over Tennessee or Virginia today)

So is there a better place to ruminate on dreams than above the clouds on an airplane?  First I have to thank you for all you have done working us through these first couple days with this blog while I was 2,000 miles away from home on vacation.  It's a sign of an excellent partnership that we got this off to such a beautiful start with even more distance (and time zones) between us.

So I was thinking about what we were saying about dreams while I was on the plane today.  Right now I am at a very "scratch your head and wonder" kind of time in my life and when I think about the future I want to know if what I envision for myself and what I can make or want to make for myself can come true?

I won't list all my dreams here.  We've both made the lists and some of them are far too personal and some of them sometimes seem far too ridiculous.  The ones you've disclosed to me that you thought were too embarrassing or ridiculous I think are spot on and perfect for you.   But thinking about it, I sat on the plane today and thought well, why can't I take control of my life and make my every dream come true and what again is my dream for my future, has it changed since last year?  It seems sometimes our lives get pushed and pulled in varying directions and we find ourselves falling into old patterns or unsure of new paths and for selfish reasons, having given up so much in my previous life, I would love to put all my energy into continuing to make my way toward the life I have been dreaming for myself.

So I wrote down a few things today.   A little bit of a reminder and a recheck on where I would like to see my direction in life go.  Loose thoughts written on a piece of paper on an airplane, so here goes:

I want to live:

in a small house, cabin or cottage set back in the woods or a field, out in the country. wood, lots of wood. simple furnishings and decorating.  lots of inspirational artwork, clippings and maps on the walls.  decorated with small vases, rocks, and little bits of nature found.  airy and light.  minimalist but comfy and inviting.    a garden shed size studio out back or in a separate room, a wall to showcase clippings and other bits of inspiration.  a nice big wooden desk with a hutch for little bits and a laptop for writing and a space for laying out photos or pages for books.  a wood stove for winter and a screen door for summer and maybe a little porch to sit out and listen to the birds and soak up the sun.  a small garden, feeders for birds and a place for nature walks.  a comfy chair next to the stove with a good book and a cat as the sun goes down. 


In some ways, I have worked a lot of this into the home I have now, so maybe I am working towards this place and maybe one day if I stay focused I will get there.  I wrote some other notes on what I wanted to be doing in this future dream life, but that is for another day.  I am tired and ready to fall into my bed.  Funny enough, I am playing a song from the girl's goodnight playlist I created and am listening to Kesang Marstrand sing "lay your head down and let yourself travel, in the land of dreams, in the land of dreams.  the stories in your heart will start to unravel, in the land of dreams, in the land of dreams".

It's goodnight time here, which means you will be near waking soon.  I hope you have sunshine and a good cup of coffee and that you find yourself lost in your dreams, but not lost too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

in your own words...