Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A perfect weekend: coffee, crossword, countryside and a concert

Pictures of Eye village from here

Morning Jen! Well, morning for you, that is. It's just past 1pm here and a much cooler day than the last couple have been, which is very welcome. As usual I am sitting here with my cup of coffee, its becoming a lovely little ritual every day, to make my coffee and then sit and either read your words for the day, or write my own. 

I loved your photos yesterday, they have such a sense of peace about them. We had a good weekend, and I managed to forget to take photographs most of the time. I am still getting into the habit of taking my camera everywhere and then, crucially, remembering to use it. 

On Friday I met the Prof from work. I went into a little café near the station and had a cappuchino while I waited for him. It was a nice little place, and for once my coffee was perfect. Often I find it so bitter I have to add sugar, which normally I don't take. It was really nice to sit there quietly with my book, drink my coffee and read. This is one of my favourite things to do, to sit in a café and read, or write. It doesn't happen too often, there isn't a café locally that I can walk to, so it tends to be if I am waiting for someone - often the Prof, who is likely to be rummaging through Latin documents in an archive nearby. On honeymoon we spent a lovely hour or two in a bookshop where, not only was there tea and coffee on offer, when we asked for some it turned out to be free of charge. If I lived in Bath I would be in there all the time. Surrounded by books plus the opportunity to sit quietly and write, with free refreshments - what could be better? 


We drove that afternoon to Ipswich, where we went to a lecture on the Black Death by the author and politician Ben Gummer It was fascinating. After the lecture we drove to a little village called Eye. My friend had been telling me about it as her sister lives there, and we decided to go and explore. It is a lovely place, though very isolated, a bit too much so for me! I am coming to terms these days with the fact that my living in the country fantasy is probably exactly that. 


On Saturday, we had to do grocery shopping, and stopped to have a drink and do the crossword in a coffee shop. We have been doing the Telegraph general knowledge crossword together on Saturdays since early in our relationship, and its become somewhat of a tradition. 


We drove to Southend on Sea on Sunday evening for a concert. There were lovely views across the water from the theatre, it would have been nice to sit and look out across the water for longer. The concert was really good fun, I thoroughly enjoyed it, though I came out a little deaf by the end and the Prof had to turn the volume on his hearing aids down. We were amongst the youngest people there, but I am not sure we felt it!


All in all, it was a lovely weekend. It was longer than usual, because we started on Friday lunchtime. We packed a lot in, we also included two lie ins and some gardening. Not bad going! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

in your own words...