Thursday, July 24, 2014

Thursday, 24th July, 2014 - empty nest


Dear Jen, 

I seem to have an empty nest! Joe has stayed at his girlfriend's more and more lately, and now he hasn't been home to sleep in about six or seven weeks. He's 23, so I guess it's about time. I was pregnant with him at that age, gosh where did all those years go?  I'm hoping soon he'll sort his things out and free up some space. I'm excited at the thought of an extra wardrobe and some bookshelves, and in the long term I'm thinking maybe craft room. We're actually probably seeing more of Joe and Sarah since he moved out, which is an unexpected bonus. Rather than Joe being in his room most of the time when he was here, now they come for a proper visit and we talk. A few times we've had a dinner and film night. 

I sat in the garden for a while this afternoon. Despite the proximity of the neighbours and the urban setting, it's mostly very quiet out there. Just birdsong and, in term time, the sound of the children  in the playground of the primary school over the back. I never mind the sound of children playing. We're in a heatwave (yuck) and I am so thankful that most days I don't have to go anywhere and can stay here with long cool drinks and the fan going. 

I do love my little garden. This year I have my favourites, sweet peas, you can see them in the picture and the wispy things in the basket on the fence are night scented stocks. They nothing to look at, but have such a gorgeous scent in the evenings. Further down the garden I have two blueberry bushes in pots, they hardly keep us in blueberries to be honest, but even the few that we get every few days are worth it. So much nicer on our breakfast than shop-bought ones. I've also got a pepper plant, but I noticed this morning that the buds have shrivelled up. My chilli  was looking sad so I re-potted it this morning, but I do have two lovely cucumbers on my cucumber plant, so that's something. I'd like to do more veg, but it basically has to be in pots, and also my garden is a sort of late night disco for slugs. 

Have you seen a picture of our lovely Star, before? She is Joe's dog he's had since he was 12, she is coming up to eleven years old. We had a health scare with her recently, and we've been told by the vet to expect bad news before too long. She seems fine at the moment though, so we're making the most of her. She's getting extra treats and getting away with coming on our bed some Sunday mornings for a cuddle, never allowed before. 

I liked hearing about your visit to the fair. Your girls are getting so grown up and Emily has a boyfriend! Make the most of your fledglings. Before you know it, they'll be flown. 

I hope you're having a wonderful Thursday, 


Debbie  x

No comments:

Post a Comment

in your own words...